Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm A Survivor



     "The Boss" and I recently got new phones.  Smart phones which make life a lot easier.  These phones could be compared to, (and I know I am dating myself when I say this) when the microwave oven and the VCR were first introduced.  Once you have these things, you wonder how you ever lived without them.  So a couple of weeks ago, I was checking my calendar on this new smart phone. A phone so smart that it has synced to "The Boss'" calendar as well.  This is a cool feature that makes sure that we are always on the same page.  That's when the panic was embedded deep within the fibers of my soul.  There it was. September 18:  Mother/Daughter sleep over.  This could only mean one thing.  I was going to have to endure a night alone with "Short Stack," my 19 month old daughter with the body of a pixy and the strong will of a Grizzly Bear. The fear was that kind you feel when you are changing the radio station in your car, only to look up and notice that the car in front of you has stopped. That split second of terror you feel is how I have felt for 2 weeks.

     With Short Stack down for her nap, The Boss and Tall Stack escaped for their girls night out without incident.  I got about an hour of down time before I heard the roar coming from behind the closed door at the top of the stairs. "MAAAAMA!"  It was go time, I had no choice but to go in there.  Maybe if I avoid eye contact, it wont be aggressive toward me.  My approach was slow and calculated.  I opened the door only to find a smiling face peering back at me.  We went down stairs, I made dinner, we played, I gave her a bath, we played some more and I put her to bed.  Not one tear, not one tantrum from either one of us.  It was a really pleasant night.  Much like the Great white Shark and the Grizzly Bear, I think that the toddler is just a misunderstood creature.  They are not by nature aggressive nor do they have malice in their hearts.  Through further research, I am hoping to prove this theory.  But until then I shall bask in the glory of being a survivor.

5 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post! Congrats on your victory! I think you should probably receive some sort of medal of honor for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know she is the sweetest,most loving, cutest, funniest, smartest chip off the old block....don't you? C'mon.....right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing night even with the 2 weeks of fear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one! Kids can definitely strike fear in your heart, and then we are so grateful when they are nice to us. No, I don't have a toddler; I am remembering the teenage years. My they were long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Sorry but that was really funny! Toddlers are fierce when they want to be!

    ReplyDelete