Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Are You On Drugs?"




The other night I went to my mom's house after work to collect my birthday card with a monetary gift enclosed (I'm an only child so yes, at 36 I still get birthday gifts from my mom), birthday dinner which consists of a curry gravy with white potatoes and Danish meatballs, and some nice conversation to top it all off.

     I began to explain to my lovely mother as I am going to explain to you now, that I have reached a point in my life where I am decluttering.  There are a lot of things that I just don't care about anymore. "What do you mean you don't care?", she says to me with a bewildered look on her face.  "I don't know how to explain it." I said to her with a smile.  There are things in life that people stress out about that really just don't matter.  About a month ago I was one of those people.  I stressed about work, I stressed about what people think of me, and finally something clicked and I said screw this.  Life is way too short, I am 36 years old and I am going to start living my life in a stress free manner.  At the time that I was trying to explain this to my mother, I couldn't come up with the right words that would make her understand exactly where I was coming from.  So, she says to me half-jokingly and half concerned, "Are you on drugs?"  We had a good laugh about it because she knows damn well that I am not on drugs but that I was obviously stumbling through my new found outlook on life.  I don't have it all figured out and I'm not sure exactly where this is all coming from, but as long as I am having fun I guess I will just roll with it. 

     There are still moments when I have to fight off the old ways of getting annoyed about things and have to remind myself that I DON"T CARE!  Don't get me wrong here, I do care about things, I care about my friends and family, I care about being productive at work, I care about being a good human being and a good father and husband, I just don't care about a lot of the incidentals that clutter up so much of our time.

     To this point of my blog it has been like the ascent of the roller coaster ride.  Now that you are on board and have reached the top and there is no turning back, I guess it's time to really start riding my mind.  Do you have what it takes to raise your hands above your head or are you going to close your eyes and white knuckle the handrail in front of you?  Either way, I don't care, as long as you enjoy the ride, do it however you like.

        

7 comments:

  1. Life is too short to let the little things take too much of your time. I try to live the same way...sometimes with more success than others...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's do dis!!!!! G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.
    We ALL need to have this approach to life!
    Did that extra candle on your cake give you this insight? If so, Imight add a few extras to mine this year to 'boast' my mind.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, yeah. The drugs kicked in.
    That was supposed to be BOOST.
    Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Come to find out, using candle wax as an inhalant enhances your wisdom and insight. Definitely look into extra candles on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A year ago my grown daughter said that she was done with the "drama" in life and she was going to avoid it at all costs. The lightbulb in my head finally went on and I decided to do the same. Exactly what you're talking about. Wish that lightbulb had gone on years ago. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete