I took this photo a couple of years ago at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. This is the type of photo you take that you know you are never going to do anything with but feel obligated to take anyway because, how often are you this close to a lion without being dead?
And then it happened, yesterday sometime before noon in a Cleveland suburb, this picture was given a purpose.
A new friend of mine, who happens to be the author of the extremely popular, and one of my absolute favorite blogs f8hasit, decided to publicly praise my extremely unpopular by comparison blog, which caught me completely off guard. You might ask, "Why is this a bad thing, and how does the picture of the big cat tie into the whole situation?" First, it is not a bad thing at all. In fact, I am honored that someone of Nancy's writing caliber would take the time to read my blubbering, let alone take it a step further and give me an award for it. Second, the popularity that automatically comes with being associated with Nancy and her blog f8hasit gives you a sense of being on stage and having to perform on a much higher level. That lion, with its stoic posture and in control demeanor tells me one of two things. Either he knows that he is the undisputed king of the jungle, or he too was given recognition by the iconic f8hasit and feels compelled to perform at a much higher level.
One of the conditions of accepting this award was that I had to write a list of 5 of my current obsessions. So, here they are in no particular order.
1. I must climb that hill behind my house very soon because it taunts me and seemingly dares me to do it.
2. Writing a weekly column for some small, local fish wrap is something that I really want to do, and figuring out how to make that happen has taken up a lot of space in my mind lately.
3. Camping, (if you call living in a trailer with running water, heat, a toilet, shower and a king size bed camping) with my family is something I love to do and in fact we have at least two trips in the pipeline as we speak.
4. The Canon Rebel T1I camera is something that I have been obsessing on lately, but I can't get the boss to let me get one without a fight. I choose my battles wisely these days so the Nikon Coolpix will continue to do just fine.
5. Last and most definitely not least, it is football season my friends. Football season is my favorite time of year, so to answer your question Mr. Hank Williams Jr. Yes sir, I am always ready for some football.
Thank you very much Nancy. I hope to be able to keep you and my new found readers entertained for a long time to come.